In November of last year, California voters passed Proposition 47, the “Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act.”
The New Conditions
(1) Prop 47 changes some California crimes from felonies to misdemeanors.
These crimes include:
- Grand theft auto and grand theft firearm, only if the car or gun that is stolen is worth $950 or less;
- Check fraud, only if the bad check(s) are for $950 or less;
- Receiving stolen property, only if the property is worth $950 or less; and
- Simple possession of a controlled substance (assuming no enhancements)
(2) Prop 47 gets rid of the concept of petty theft with a prior.
(3) Prop 47 would make most minor instances of commercial burglary a misdemeanor count of petty theft, even where there was intent to steal before entering the store.
(4) Prop 47 does not apply if you have certain violent felonies or sex crimes on your record.
(5) Prop 47 allows you to apply for resentencing if your sentence is affected by the new law.
If you are currently serving OR have completed a felony sentence for any of the crimes listed above, you can apply to have your conviction reduced to a misdemeanor–and your sentence reduced accordingly. For assistance, please call our office today.